Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ronaldo Retires after 3 World Cups...on feb 14 2011


My favorite soccer player of all time has said goodbye to the game of soccer.  I want to include him in my blog because with out Ronaldo I would had never wondered about brazil.   I remember Ronaldo was part of the World Cup squad that won the 1994 title in the United States, although he was a teenager and only played in the final ten minutes of the world cup final. He was the team's top star in France in 1998, but just before the final he had seizures in the team hotel and did not play well in the game won by the French.
Ronaldo has played for Brasil in 97 international matches, amassing 62 goals. He was a part of the Brazilian squad that won the1994 and 2002 World Cups. During the the 2006 FIFA World Cup, Ronaldo became the highest goalscorer in the history of the World Cup with his fifteenth goal, surpassing the previous record of 14.

As well as being a popular icon assoicated with soccer stardom, Ronaldo was goodwill ambassador for the United Nation's Development Program. He played a big role in organizing the "Game for Peace" in Haiti in 2004, when the Brazilians visited the country devastated by gang wars.

I just thought the man deserved a spot on my blog because he inspired me to wonder where brazil is? Making brazil relevent and giving brazil a really positive image to me and many more throughout the world.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxk2Hpg-6hI( paste in tool bar)
    This Video is so siick, Cant believe these guys filmed this stuff
    haha
    I really feel like Futbol is Brasilian culture, the National Futbol Team gives brasilians an identity. I Hate to put one stero type or image when describing someone but in Brasil's case it can be acceptable. Because Brasil can fight there battles on the pitch. Their team can peacefully battle any country, as well as peecock their strengths to everyone else haha. There futbol is so advanced makes them look real modern

    ReplyDelete