Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Brasil & Guns

I'm sure mos tof you have seen movies like City of God.  And have images of children caring and using guns int he streets of brasil's poorest favelas.  And it is a image that scares away most tourist and people from even venturing out to see these poor parts of the city. There are over 16 million guns in brasil, 80% are in civilian hands and are illegally owned and unregistered. 

 Brasil is organizing a hand in your guns program, where no legal action will be taken and money will be given depending on the type of gun turned in(anywere from 60 to 200 dollars).  Last time they did this in 2003 over half a million guns were turned in and destroyed.

With all these guns on the streets and in the hands of civilans, I wonder how these guns ended up in the hands of the poor or the drug dealers.  Are currupt cops selling these guns and profeiteering off the drug trade. Most likely!  It happens everywhere. I think the brasilian government should clean up there police force and provide equal justice to the poor, as well as the rich.  I feel like a dirty police agency hurts cities the most, because people can't stand up to them. they perfer to jsut handle justice by whatever means they can, and its a sad vicious cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment